Based on analysis to date, results showed a 15 percent (95% CI: 8-22%) overall response rate in 106 patients who received Abraxane 100 mg/m2 administered weekly over 30 minutes a day without premedication for three weeks followed by one week of rest, with a 38 percent probability of surviving 12 months. Additionally, 40 percent of patients were free of disease progression for as long as four months, and almost 30 percent for as long as six months. Ninety-one percent of patients were able to receive the full dose throughout the study without dose reduction.
Joanne Blum, M.D., PhD., a US Oncology Principal Investigator at Texas Oncology PA (TOPA), who practices at Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center, Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas, presented the update. Charles A. Sammons Cancer Center was one of 38 US Oncology affiliated practices that had patients participate in the Abraxane clinical trial.
All patients in the trial, sponsored by American Bioscience, Inc., had progressive metastatic breast cancer while being treated with Taxol or Taxotere in the metastatic setting, or had a relapse within 12 months of adjuvant taxane therapy. The patient population studied had a poor prognosis with 91 percent having visceral (lung and liver) disease, 65 percent with more than three metastatic sites and 88 percent demonstrating ongoing tumor growth while on Taxol or Taxotere.
"The activity of Abraxane and the tolerance of the weekly reg
Contact: Melyssa Weible