New international consensus guidelines for FUZEON (enfuvirtide) are published today in AIDS, the official journal of the International AIDS Society. These guidelines are vital because they balance the significant benefits of FUZEON with the need for self-injection and also provide a clear framework for FUZEON use.
The independent consensus panel of nine leading experts from around the world agreed that:
- FUZEON represents an important advance in HIV therapy
- With ongoing training and support, healthcare professionals can assist patients in successfully introducing FUZEON into their daily routines
- FUZEON benefits pre-treated patients across all sub-groups studied, including those taking few or no other active drugs
- Optimal outcomes are achieved when FUZEON is used in patients who have a higher CD4 count (> or equal to 100 versus < or equal to 100 cells/mm)
- An initial investment in establishing patient training programmes yield significant returns in the maintenance of adherence, patient confidence, and in the benefit of FUZEON therapy
"FUZEON is an important treatment for the increasing number of patients with HIV drug resistance. By providing clear advice on timing of FUZEON initiation and patient support during therapy, these guidelines clarify the place of this breakthrough drug in current HIV treatment regimens and will enable more pre-treated patients to benefit," stated Dr Mike Youle, Royal Free Hospital, London.
Mr Colin Webb, Executive Director of European Coalition of Positive People (ECPP) commented, "The ECPP welcomes these international consensus guidelines for FUZEON. They are important as they encourage further dialogue between physicians and their patients, ensuring that informed decisions are made on when to consider and successfully introduce FUZEON."
Page: 1 Related biology news :1
Contact: Amanda Boswell
. International critical care doctors release first-ever guidelines for sepsis2
. Revised guidelines published for testing for hereditary type of colorectal cancer3
. New ACOG guidelines on progesterone to prevent preterm birth praised by March of Dimes4
. Ethical guidelines needed before nutrigenomic groceries come to market5
. New guidelines can help health officials better predict and control dengue epidemics6
. Researchers develop guidelines to establish identity of genes responsible for complex diseases7
. Aborigine study suggests body mass index guidelines should be lower to block diabetes8
. New nutrition guidelines for diabetics promote emphasis on high-monounsaturated fat diet9
. Conservation International and Starbucks announce new coffee sourcing guidelines10
. Report on dietary supplements containing ephedra makes urgent call for research to develop dose guidelines, safety warnings11
. Current HIV treatment guidelines may result in more men than women being eligible for treatment