Members of the media and freelance writers are invited to attend the Ecological Society of America's (ESA) 90th Annual Meeting, to be held jointly with the INTECOL IX International Congress of Ecology in Montral, Quebec, August 7-12, 2005. The meeting theme is, "Ecology at Multiple Scales." Over 4,000 ecological scientists, researchers, educators, administrators, and policy-makers from around the globe are expected to attend.
The meeting's opening evening will feature a Public Plenary Address by Cristian Samper, Director of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. On Monday, August 8th, the Opening Plenary will feature a 90th anniversary celebration of ESA, featuring past presidents of ESA reflecting on the Society's historical milestones. Also featured in the Opening Plenary: May Berenbaum, well known entomologist and recipient of ESA's prestigious MacArthur award.
Scientific presentation highlights include:
- Linking ecological processes and environmental impacts across scales: Coastal ecology and energy development in the Caspian Sea and Gulf of Mexico
- Mercury cycles: Sources, mass balances, bioaccumulation, and options to manage affected systems
- Ecological effects of the Chernobyl disaster: Genes to ecosystems
- Comparative ecology of tropical trees: Linking physiology to dynamics and distribution
- Ecological processes important in the responses of bird populations to environmental change driven by agriculture
- Linking local, regional and global ecological changes across densely populated landscapes
Several special sessions have been incorporated into the program, focusing on major ecological issues. They include: Restoration of Mesopotamian Marshes of Iraq, Delivering on the promise of ecological science to improve land management: Ecological site descriptions, and two sessions on the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment.
The five-and-a half-day program will include 4 plenary sessiPage: 1 2 Related biology news :1
Contact: Annie Drinkard
Ecological Society of America
. NY Stem Cell Foundations 2nd Annual Translational Stem Cell Research Conference2
. Illinois researchers presenting at ASPB Annual Meeting in Chicago, July 7-113
. Highlighted sessions of ASBMBs 2007 Annual Meeting4
. Award lectures for ASBMBs 2007 Annual Meeting5
. AACR to present distinguished public service awards at 2007 Annual Meeting6
. AACR Annual Meeting showcases significant developments in understanding and targeting cancers7
. New investigators tie for award at the 2007 AIUM Annual Convention8
. Presidential Recognition Awards presented at the 2007 AIUM Annual Convention9
. Advances in personalized medicine on agenda for 54th Society of Nucelar Medicine Annual Meeting10
. AACRs Sixth Annual Landon Awards recognize Richard Kolodner, Douglas Lowy and John Schiller11
. International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation 27th Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions