Dean Eileen T. Kennedy at Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy has announced the first annual Friedman School Symposium, to be held September 19-21 in Boston, Massachusetts. The Symposium will provide an unbiased, neutral forum for presenting current nutrition research and debate that will impact the 2010 Dietary Guidelines.
"Getting Dietary Guidelines 'right' may be the single most critical step to addressing the growing and preventable health crises of heart disease, obesity, diabetes and other serious illnesses affecting American and world populations." said Dean Kennedy.
By engaging leaders in nutrition science and policy along with representatives of the food industry, whose products and advertisements rely on the Dietary Guidelines, the Symposium will address topics such as "Problems and Pitfalls In The Dietary Guidelines: The Example of Children" and "Should Supplements and Fortified Foods Have A Place at the 2010 Guidelines Table?"
The program for the Friedman School Symposium is chaired by Drs. Robert Russell and Simin Nikbin Meydani, Director and Associate Director respectively of the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.
Symposium presenters will include:
- Bess Dawson-Hughes, MD, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Bone Metabolism Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
- Leonard H. Epstein, PhD, Department of Pediatrics, State University of N.Y. at Buffalo
- Edward Giovannucci, MD, Harvard School of Public Health
- Bruce Hollis, Ph D, Medical University of South Carolina
- Janet King, PhD, Children's Hospital, Oakland Research Institute
- Alice Lichtenstein, D.Sc., Gershoff Professor of Nutrition Science and Policy, Friedman School Director and Senior Scientist, Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University.
Contact: Claire O'Connor, Public Relations, Inc.
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University 21-Apr-2006Page: 1 2 Related biology news :1
. The latest information coming from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University2
. Research notes: Policy points from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts3
. Jeffrey Friedman, discoverer of leptin, receives Gairdner, Passano awards4
. Research news from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University5
. Research news from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University6
. November nutrition news from the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts7
. NIH gives $8M to University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine for myositis research8
. Kansas, Missouri School Board members to explore improvements in science-related education9
. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine researchers develop off-the-shelf vascular grafts10
. Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Geisinger launch new environmental research group11
. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine researchers awarded $27M for TB research