Arlington Heights, IL Along with Brittany's weddings, Julia's babies and Martha's new home in a federal penitentiary one of the biggest stories of 2004 was plastic surgery. As the experts in the specialty, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons offers its 2004 Top 10 Hot Topics in Plastic Surgery.
1. Teenage plastic surgery If you believe everything you read, you might think more teenagers are having cosmetic surgery than are going to college.
Contrary to popular belief, people 18 and younger make up only 4 percent of all cosmetic procedures. Although numbers have increased, teens are a small percentage of the total plastic surgery population.
2. "Reality" television For network executives, the recipe for high ratings is plastic surgery combined with reality television.
Unfortunately, these shows can foster unrealistic and unhealthy expectations. Plastic surgery is real surgery with real benefits and risks.
3. Body contouring following massive weight loss Weight loss patients turn to plastic surgeons for breast reductions and upper arm, lower body, thigh, and breast lifts to eliminate excess skin and contour their smaller bodies.
The ASPS predicts these procedures will continue to rise as Americans tackle the obesity epidemic.
4. More injectables Continuing an exciting trend which began with Botox in 2002, the FDA approves Sculptra, Hylaform Plus and CaptiqueTM.
Popularity of minimally invasive procedures continues to push demand for more options to smooth wrinkles for longer periods of time.
5. Governor Schwarzenegger terminates California oral surgeon bill Proposed bill would have allowed oral surgeons to perform cosmetic plastic surgery.
Patient safety triumphant against political pressure.
6. The many uses of Botox Beyond wrinkle smoothing, studies find it can be used for pain control following breast reconstruction, relief of migraine headaches and reduction of exc
Contact: Brian Huggins
American Society of Plastic Surgeons 16-Dec-2004Page: 1 2 Related medicine news :1
. Media update: GSA underscores hottest meeting topics2
. Experts present new research on the hot topics of aging at GSAs Annual Meeting3
. Air safety, election forecasting lead topics as operations researchers meet in Miami beach4
. 9.2 million cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in 2004 - up 5%5
. Half-million cosmetic plastic surgery procedures for Hispanics in 2004 - up 49% from 20006
. Breast implant Website launched by leading plastic surgery societies7
. Making tiny plastic particles to deliver lifesaving medicine8
. Arizona pioneer in plastics wins top chemistry award9
. Allentown chemist wins national award for plastic polymer inventions10
. Drugs made from polymers, the stuff of plastics11
. New plastic heals damaged nerves